I checked out the small business policy information from the Liberal party to see what we can expect from the new federal government. While the published material does not contain much in specifics for small businesses, there are these specific promises we ought to expect progress on:
- Our electricity and gas bills will go down by 10% or thereabouts because of their ending the carbon tax.
- Company tax will be cut.
- Parliament to spend 2 days a year removing legislation aimed at reducing small burden.
- Streamlined handling of superannuation payments.
- Doubling small business start ups.
- The most important policy is in the area of competition policy:
Reviewing competition laws and policy
We will conduct, for the first time in two decades, a root and branch review of competition laws and policy and deliver more competitive markets.
Extending unfair contract protection to small business
We will extend unfair contract protection currently available to consumers, to small businesses. We will ensure that big and small businesses get a ‘fair-go’ and do the right thing by each other in their respective marketplaces, delivering real and lasting benefits to consumers.
While I would prefer a more detailed and thorough small business policy, I wanted to see what the majority of the country voted for, to understand what to expect from the new government. Given their handling of promises of the previous two governments they will have to expect that attention will be paid to the promises they have made.