AWW cookbooks discounted at Coles

December 3rd, 2013 · 7 Comments

mags3awwcookdec2013Saw this discount pack of three AWW cookbooks for $14.99. The bag is promoting a saving of $23.86. The person alerting me to the promotion says it’s publisher driven. It makes our AWW cookbooks look expensive.

Category: magazines

• 1 rick // Dec 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

aww cookbooks don’t have the same appeal they used to, googling recipes is normal practice in our house, and we both love cooking (and eating :) ) so maybe aww trying to clear stock, be nice if we could have got in on the act as well tho

• 2 Jarryd Moore // Dec 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I agree rick.

Not only does this make out AWW cookbooks look expensive, it highlights that they ARE expensive – especially in comparison to the free recipes available on a huge number of dedicated websites.

Maybe its time that AWW re-evaluated their cookbook range concept. It feels stale.

• 3 jenny // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I think AWW cook books have had their day. Apart from Slow Cooker in winter we rarely sell a copy anymore.
    Rick we too are mad cooks and even madder eaters but I still use the original AWW cook books, I don’t think the new ones are a patch on the originals !
    AWW still has the best chicken pate recipe, (AWW Cooking Class?), I’m sure that’s where Maggie Beer got her recipe from :)

• 4 Brendan // Dec 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

We’ve been talking of cutting their cookbooks back to bare bones. This makes the decision a lot clearer and easy.

• 5 Mark // Dec 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I know of one newsagent getting rid of some of these AWW cookbooks. I saw some a few months ago eg. Breakfast Issue, Pies, etc $1 each in the Bargain bin.

• 6 Jarryd Moore // Dec 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I’d actually like to AWW do a fortnightly range similar to the Thats Life “Real Fast Food” concept that ended last year. 54 issues over 2 years and we were still selling around 9 copies per issue by the end.

AWW is still a household name and that brand value needs to be leveraged into something new.

An AWW cooking partwork maybe? Or AWW cooking gift sets (with actual kitchenware)?

The foodie culture is still strong and there are plenty left of field opportunities available. I’d hate the see the AWW brand go to waste.

• 7 Paul // Dec 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Yep, I definately agree Brendan. Will shipping 90% of them back this week and using the shelf space for something else. Any new ones are now going to be early returned.