Maybe, hopefully, we’re over the Schapelle story

February 10th, 2014 · 15 Comments

From Mediaweek this morning the rating numbers for TV last night:

Mediaweek ‏@MediaweekAUS  SunTV:Seven#1 33.1% #INXS 1.97m SNight 1.79m #MKR 1.64m 7News 1.29m #TheBlock 1.27m 9News 1.22m #Schapelle 1.02m #Sochi2014 996k 60Mins 866k

I was thrilled to discover that Australians appear to be less interested in the reports about convicted drug smuggler Schapelle Corby and more interested in the music of INXS and the genius of Michael Hutchence.

I’ve read Fairfax journalist Eamon Duff’s book, Sins of the Father and felt it made a compelling case. After I read the book I felt done, that I didn’t need any more news or spin from, by or about the Corbys and their associates. One thing the family has been good at is making drama to sell stories to media outlets. The ratings last night indicate that interest may be waning. I hope so.

The drug smuggler has got parole. So what? If I see a Schapelle story I’ll look the other way – she and the family have nothing to say that I am interested in or would be likely to believe.

In our newsagencies today we have a commemorative one-shot from Pacific Magazines on INXS. This is well worth focusing attention based on the ratings for the telemovie last night.

Category: magazines · Newsagency opportunities

• 1 P // Feb 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Schapelle is on the cover of the West,New Idea and W/day. I think you maybe looking the other way for quite some time Mark

• 2 Mark Fletcher // Feb 10, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I think you’re right P, unfortunately.

• 3 Gregg // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Mark, I think you are correct with the more that came out about the Corby clan people just turned away from thinking she was a victim of Indonesia’s judicial system and had been set up. As one customer said to me this morning he would welcome 1000 boat people if Indonesia take the Corby clan.

• 4 Mark Fletcher // Feb 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Gregg if you can get it read the book Sins of the Father. It is high-quality, well-researched. Left me with no doubt.

• 5 Peter // Feb 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Mark, the unpalatable fact for a lot of us Corby is bloody good for sales.

• 6 Allan wickham // Feb 10, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I put the one shot INXS mag at the front counter this morning hoping for some sales from the tv show but got a surprise today when I had to go to the local music store for my son. No INXS at their counter, I told the guy that their greatest hits album is at number 4 on the Aussie charts and will probably hit number 1 this week. This is an old album that is enjoying renewed success. He looked at me like I was some sort of no it all…….silly! I should stop trying to help others.

• 7 Allan wickham // Feb 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM

“Know” it all*

• 8 Mark Fletcher // Feb 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Maybe I am wrong but I think Australians are over the Corbys.

• 9 h // Feb 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM

it’s pretty hysterical on the evening news tonight.

I could probably sell three copies of that Corby book tomorrow morning Mark, to the in-depth interested customer, but I won’t pick up more than 3 extra copy sales of a weekly mag at less than 5 bucks……

re INXS, I reckon I could sell a book or two. My 5.30am walking partner was all over the tv show, my excuse is I was overseas for the whole of their musical reign, so I plead ignorance, BUT … interest was garnered by the tv show last night, but with minimal print product to match it, I don’t have anything to promo…..

• 10 Mark Fletcher // Feb 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM

H, there is spare stock. Botch or Pacific can help. Let me know if you need help getting this.

• 11 Mark Fletcher // Feb 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if we have next week’s New Idea and or Woman’s Day out later this week.

• 12 Carol // Feb 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM

She will be more a prisoner from the press now than she was in jail. She has done her time and I cannot understand the interest. Guilty or not guilty. In Australia those commit murder can get out of jail in less time and she was not carrying some of the other shit that is on the streets. Just marijuana and how many of you have never tried it?. I hope she makes good money our of it.

• 13 michelle // Feb 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I cannot believe we are still talking about it what a waste of time. I do not understand the fascination with a petty bogan drug smuggler who got caught. Perhaps the interest is really in if she will do a spread for playboy? People there are serious issues going on right now this story doesn’t deserve anyones time. If she is guilty or not who cares. The fact is we have major tragedies unfolding as I write this, they should be our focus not this nonsence.
    Rant over

• 14 Mark Fletcher // Feb 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM

She did the crime in Indonesia and was judged by their laws. What galls me is the money this criminal and her criminal family have made and are making from this. The Sins of the Father book is all I needed to know.

• 15 MAX // Feb 12, 2014 at 6:41 AM

I just checked my Womans Day and New Idea stock. I still have about 62% of each still left on the shelf. My customers do not care about the Corby story.