Tatts equipment changes challenging SA newsagents

February 19th, 2014 · 10 Comments

South Australian newsagents are in a world of pain at the sales counter as Tatts rolls out their new terminals. They are having to deal with the new terminals sitting on the counter next to the old terminals for weeks as the roll-out, commissioning and de-commissioning proceeds.

Newsagents in some other states will understand having endured the same process.

I wonder if Coles, 7-Eleven and other national retail chains would put up with such a disruptive roll-out process.

The impact on a newsagency business is considerable – reduced sales as a result of access to the counter being blocks, OH&S risks, elimination of a busy work area and the knock on effect of these including, in some case, having to hire extra staff to deal with required temporary operational changes – since work cannot be done at the counter.

Category: Lotteries

• 1 Chris // Feb 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM

No these other retailers would not allow this but the major difference that has always been our problem is total compliance.

• 2 David @ Angle Vale Newsagency // Feb 19, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I expect a bit of short term disruption, but see a lot to like.

After a skim read of the manual I see many benefits and opportunities; no more stapling bits of paper, more sales opportunities with better ways to combine games, simplified syndicate set up and control.

The one bummer is still being restricted to just four lines for a Keno ticket.

I don’t care if Coles get it easier, I just deal with what I have and “always look on the bright side of life”.

• 3 BrettS // Feb 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Keno ticket is that a typo?
    Or you sell Keno as well?

• 4 David @ Angle Vale Newsagency // Feb 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM

No typo. Keno is an SA Lotteries game for SA & ACT. A draw every 3.5 minutes and the best $ for agent as well.

Runs off the same machine, and still will with Tattstech, but because it is SA only they haven’t upgraded the tickets.

• 5 shauns // Feb 19, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I wonder if keno is the game that will come in to replace the $2 casket tricket in qld

• 6 BrettS // Feb 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM

No It will be a REAL Lottery ticket from NSW

• 7 shauns // Feb 19, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I like the idea of a game every few minutes ,I think it would kill scratchy sales so no need to carry so much stock

• 8 David @ Angle Vale Newsagency // Feb 19, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Shauns, I have customers who play lotto + scratchies, lotto + keno and I cannot think of one who plays Keno + scratchies. Seems to be two different types of players.

Scratchie sales are still strong.

• 9 Shaun's // Feb 19, 2014 at 9:05 PM

David is it like the pub keno where you see the draw

• 10 David @ Angle Vale Newsagency // Feb 20, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Yep, identical. I have a screen in my gaming area showing the draws, and in between ads for various lottery products/jackpots. Spot 10 is currently over 1.5 million. I think the big difference is that only Spot 10 jackpots here.