The danger in returning bagged discount magazine packs

February 28th, 2014 · 9 Comments

magsbaggedretThis bagged pack of current (when released) issues of Elle and Cosmopolitan is tagged by the publisher as a topped return. If we did that we’d top the covers and return both separately. This could open us to a fraud allegation by the publisher owned distribution business. Instead, we return the whole bagged pack – to avoid any allegation of impropriety.

Maybe I missed something, maybe we could return the empty bag. I’d love to know how others handle returning these particular discounted bagged products – not the Express and Universal bagged packs with back issues, but these bags containing current issues of different titles.

Category: magazine distribution · magazines

• 1 Shayne // Feb 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM

We also return the whole thing, as you say, to avoid confusion

• 2 Paul // Feb 28, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Top and staple the bag barcode to the return here.

• 3 Peter // Feb 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM

In this case I top all of the bagged contents and staple together counting each bag.

• 4 Gary // Feb 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM

if you are claiming 1 bagged title and return 2 physical tops how is that fraud?

It’s not like you’re trying to claim credits for both.

• 5 Steve // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Staple the tops together,if the bags got a unique barcode stick the stapled tops back in the bag.

• 6 Carol // Feb 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM

We staple one of the bar code that is used to scan this product which is sometimes on the bag and sometimes on one of magazine to the top magazine . Item will already have one of our store barcodes on it. We can’t afford to send back full magazines as we post our returns back.

• 7 BrettS // Feb 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I only return cover of the top magazine in the bag.
    Better point out at this time I never sell or have I ever sold any form of discounted Magazine unless its through the Distributor.
    As much as Magazine space is a challenge I would never do anything to degrade the product.
    As a few around me do.
    Although I am thinking I better start sending both covers and the bag from now on.

• 8 Ben // Feb 28, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I’m with BrettS (7). Return top, destroy remainder.

• 9 Gary // Feb 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM

for those who are emerald members, i believe you can send all returns back as topped.

save on postage but more time spent topping.