Magazine distributors should not distribute books

April 15th, 2014 · 10 Comments

returned-bookI was surprised to receive this book with magazines yesterday. We don’t sell books – ┬ánot full price titles and not for 25% in gross profit. We need to be able to stop products like this being sent to us without out approval. As it stands we have to pay to send back this stock we don’t want. Some newsagents will look for other ways to strike out at Network for this scale out. This is what all magazine publishers need to understand when wondering about why newsagents early return stock.

Category: Book retailing · magazine distribution · Ugh!

• 1 shauns // Apr 15, 2014 at 6:09 AM

The RETURNED Is a very fitting tittle .

• 2 Mark Fletcher // Apr 15, 2014 at 6:11 AM

I like that Shaun!

• 3 al // Apr 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Might be some quickprofit to be made here! The TV series Resurrection, which is based on this book, is running on Channel 7 and last week had a bigger audience than My Kitchen Rules!! Put a big how about putitng a big ‘As seen on TV’ sign on it .. put it next to MKR …

• 4 Jack // Apr 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM

It’s a tough sell Al as the name is different and the cover art doesn’t match the show. Hard to convey this to the customer in a sign. Might be worth a try though.

Seems like network is trying to cash in on a half baked idea. Would have been nice if they had let newsagents know about the tie in too.

• 5 Paul // Apr 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I think the biggest issue is that it isn’t a magazine which is what we have a contract with the magazine distributors to receive, not all of this other crap, and that if we want the book we could buy it from a book wholesaler and make more than 25% on it anyway !

• 6 shauns // Apr 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Just received my stock .they have till the end of the month to sell .I feel they should sell out .but yeah they are not mags but then neither are the mills and boons books that sell well from them

• 7 Brett // Apr 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM

They’re Returned

• 8 jeff // Apr 15, 2014 at 8:15 PM

I have no issue with Network distributing books or anything we can sell for that matter. The issue I have is with the terms (needs to be 35% min sale or return or north of 50% firm sale) and not having any input into the supply distributed. Give me some control over my business please….

• 9 Mark Fletcher // Apr 16, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Jeff it’s frustrating. They say they want to help us grow our businesses then they do this. Mixed messages that have not changed in decades.

• 10 Brendan // Apr 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I’ll give it this month only to sell then top it and do some product research on the topped product.