This week I am shining a light on five back to basics areas of our newsagency businesses over which we can make a difference for the good of our business and the benefit of our customers.
By back to basics I mean parts of our business that define us and can separate us from others.
Today, I want to challenge how you manage greeting cards.
Australian newsagents sell close to 35% of all cards sold in this country. We are the largest single retail channel. Cards giver us the best gross profit of any product we sell – depending on your deal between 50% GP and as much as as 70% GP. Cards are important to us and we are important to the category.
But are we managing cards for success?
Too many newsagents leave the running of th card department to their card spillers. This is a mistake. It’s your business, manage it.
Here are some tips for driving card sales:
- Put your own cards out. Stop using a merchandiser. Learn more about the product and be more helpful to your customers. Everyone working in the shop should be able to do this!
- Refresh your offer at least annually. Work with your main card supplier on this.
- Promote seasons on the floor. Do not take everyday or lifestyle cards off the wall to make way for seasons. Peple still buy these cards.
- Leverage licences. Cards with licenced characters sell well. Seek these out.
- Connect with gifts. Cards drive gift purchases and gift sales drive card purchases. Get this two-way flow right and sales will increase.
- Place cards and gifts together. Retail 101.
- Reward loyalty. Use whatever options are available to you to drive shopper loyalty.
- Locate your card department at the front of the shop. It attracts shoppers.
- Light your card department well. Make the colours pop!
Cards are vitally important to newsagents. Ignore tham and you invite shoppers to look elsewhere for their magazines.
The goal of this series of back to basics newsagency management advice is to get you revisiting parts of your business that you may not be paying enough attention to. This should help imporrove basket size, drive traffic and get you better engaged with your newsagency business.