Dynamic Supplies has shared this timely warning of an ink buying scam:
NOTIFICATION OF SCAM EMAILS
We would like to bring to your attention scam emails that have been transmitted to distributors, resellers and the like attempting to purchase product.
Below are some specifics to look out for:
– Request for procuring genuine HP product.
– No contact details are provided (i.e. phone numbers).
– Email addresses are typically from a hotmail or yahoo webmail provider.
– Unauthorized credit cards are used for payment. Quite often, more than one credit card number is supplied until the transaction is approved.
– Some credit cards get approved stating they have sufficient funds, but within a couple of days the money is withdrawn and the bank informs you that the transaction is indeed fraudulent.
– The order value fluctuates between $2,000 to $6,000.
– Delivery requests are always to a freight forwarder who have no prior knowledge of the order.
A typical example:
From: Dr Richard Hudson [mailto:email@example.com]
Sent: 21 September 2006 09:37
I would like to request for the unit prices of the
following underspecified OEM cartridges;
(1)HP INKJET CARTRIDGE # 78D
(2)HP INKJET CARTRIDGE # 28A
(3)HP TONER CARTRIDGE # 29X
I would like your goodselves to send me detailed
information as to the prices and forms of payments
Your earliest response will be highly solicited.
Dr Richard Hudson
PO Box 374,
St Marys NSW 2760