How we process sales at the counter needs to be accurate, consistent and good for the customer. Training in hour to do this ought to be structured with regular reminders for everyone working at the counter.
- Smile and greet the customer. Not: next! or next in line or yes? or how can I help. Try, instead: hi or did you find everything you need? or thank you (as you take their purchases from them.
- Scan from left to right – from one pile to the other. Always the same way. Scan everything, every time.
- Enter the total cash they give you if they are paying by cash.
- Bag the goods. Don’t ask, always bag the goods – get your brand out there.
- Give them the receipt – facing them so any saving or discount voucher can be seen.
- Farewell them with a smile and what comes natural: thank you or thanks for shopping here today or see you next time.
This week I’m going take a look at everyday management of the typical newsagency business – to open discussion among people here about what they do in the area of I cover and to help others to look at their own processes.