How to grow your newsagency

July 23rd, 2014 · 14 Comments

Here is a video shot just over a week ago looking at one of the most valuable tools I am finding for growing my newsagency – discount vouchers. This video looks at the April through June data.

To those who say this is a post advertising Tower Systems, I’d note that POS Solutions say they have the same facility in their software.

I don’t care so much which software you use – more that you engage in a smart front-end loyalty facility that is genuinely competitive to the me-too points based programs.

Category: Newsagency management · newsagency marketing · newsagency of the future · Newsagency opportunities

• 1 Matt // Jul 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Great video Mark, how is the discount determined? I assume bigger the purchase bigger the discount?

Also with the voucher say if it was $6, is there something that says they have to purchase something to use the discount voucher, or could they grab a couple of things that add up to $6 and get for free?

Thanks

• 2 Mark Fletcher // Jul 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Thanks Matt. On the discount amount -yes, dependent on the purchase size and the rules set by the retailer.

On redemption – there are lost of options for retailers to choose. It could operate either way you describe.

• 3 Brett // Jul 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Mat,

Had a customer today, bought an item and got a voucher for $1.30 – took a Courier Mail for free with the voucher.

• 4 Jack // Jul 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM

We find the less asterisks you put around redemption the better. Makes it easier for the customer to understand and easier for the business to manage.

Sure there are going to be a few people that will buy something at the value of the voucher but there will be others who will more than make up for these customers with big purchases well above the value of the voucher.

• 5 Michael // Jul 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Would there be potential for a setup along the lines of this.

Spend $10.00 and get 1% off next purchase
    Spend $20.00 and get 2% off next purchase and so on and so on. Capping at a certain percentage. Means the customer still has to purchase an item but still gets a reward for their initial purchase.
    Just a thought on alternative means of these vouchers.

• 6 Mark Fletcher // Jul 24, 2014 at 7:22 AM

Michael I think that approach is less likely to be understood by many shoppers. The vouchers are working a treat right now.

• 7 Matt // Jul 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Thanks all, sounds great.

• 8 allan wickham // Jul 24, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Brett, I dont include papers or lotteries.

• 9 Brett // Jul 24, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Lotteries are out but you can claim a paper

• 10 jenny // Jul 24, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Same as Brett but not many redeem on a paper, usually a gift or magazine.

• 11 Brett // Jul 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Magazines are the prime redemption item for me, followed by Cards then Gifts

• 12 Brendan // Jul 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM

We only preclude TAFMO, phone cards and similar low margin products. If a customer gets a free paper then they have made a previous purchase that has more than covered the paper cost and I want to encourage these customers to return and give us more of their business. With a 20% redemption rate I believe this is working a treat.

• 13 Allan Wickham // Jul 25, 2014 at 7:13 AM

I should have mentioned that I am a sub for newspapers, if I could get full commission then I would gladly give away a newspaper but until then………(sigh)

• 14 Brett // Jul 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Allan,

I too am a sub for news. The redemption of the paper therefore “costs” you very little. The Gain is the important bit, customers just don’t get this anywhere else.