Melbourne Gift Fairs less than a week away

July 30th, 2014 · 15 Comments

melhgThe Melbourne gift fairs are a few days away – hundreds of newsagents will attend.

I know some who are flying in for the full five days. Most will dedicate at least two days.

These fairs in Melbourne and the same in Sydney are the go to events for anyone serious about gift retailing. Even stands of products that are not appropriate for your business can be inspiring from a visual merchandising perspective.I’ve been going for years and have been urging newsagents through this blog to go.

If you’re in Melbourne for the fairs and want to catch up let me know.

Category: Gifts

• 1 Tania // Jul 30, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Mark, where is your store? I would love to see it while I am in Melbourne. (If I get a spare moment)

• 2 Tania // Jul 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

And do you have any advice for a first timer heading to the gift fair?

• 3 Carol // Jul 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Yes and I am coming all the way from Cooktown. Its all a bit scary for a girl from the bush. Do we have to go to both venues or will I need to try and get around them both?

• 4 Steve Sharman // Jul 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM

My wife is going for a 2nd year from The Gold Coast – last year the event slightly overawed her, the size and choice is huge. She has done a bit of homework this year making a list of stands to visit. One other tip – wear comfortable shoes!

• 5 Carol // Jul 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I went to Sydney last year and I was a bit disappointed. It was quite small compared to my expectations. I ended up with my shoes off on the third day and got a couple of comments about work place health and safety which I ignored.

• 6 Tania // Jul 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Yes I can imagine feeling like that Steve and I have comfortable shoes packed. I am currently going through the list of exhibitors and checking out their websites so I have a bit more of an idea of what would be appropriate for me shop.

• 7 Carol // Jul 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I don’t buy jewellery so do they put all that together. I can miss that out. I can’t follow the floor plan.

• 8 Jim // Jul 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM

ANY UPDATES ON YOUR END ABOUT NETWORK AND THERE ISSUES?!!!

• 9 Mark Fletcher // Jul 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Carol you need to try and at the very least get to the main fair at the convention centre and the Home and Giving Fair. Both are different and excellent.

• 10 Fiona Hulme // Jul 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Hi Mark,
    I will be at stand I35 MCEC.
    Come and take a look. Candle Bark can help newsagents have a contemporary offering to compete with the likes of Kikkik!
    See you at the show.
    Fiona Hulme
    Candle Bark Creations

• 11 Gary Carr // Jul 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Never buy anything on the first day. Mark off the stands you are interested in (there will be a book listing all suppliers) so that you can return to them when you have given everything the once over. It’s good to go to both venues so that you are confident that you have seen everything on offer. CHECK FREIGHT CHARGES. We have a newsagency in Cairns and freight can be a massive expense.

• 12 allan wickham // Jul 31, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Tania, my advice would be similar to Gary`s, take your time. We tend to spend the 1st day looking and taking notes then do another round to purchase.

Carol, throw the floor plan away…..it`s better to just start at one end and work your way through. We used to try and plan but found it more enjoyable to just browse and take it all in.

As far as products go…..dont be scared….as Mark says “we are not our customer”

Cheers

Al

• 13 June // Jul 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Tania, do NOT wear a badge saying Newsagency -ensure you cover up that
    word and put Retailer – some people are
    quite rude to us when they find out we
    are “only” newsagents.
    Good luck – it is hard work.

• 14 Allan Wickham // Jul 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM

June, I’ve had that experience and I note the companies name and tell everybody I know about them. I don’t want to deal with those type anyway.

• 15 Mark Fletcher // Jul 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM

With the number of gift stores closing in the last year I suspect this will be less of an issue.