Coming of age at the Melbourne Gift Fair

August 4th, 2014 · 17 Comments

giftsIn two days at the Reed Gift Fair and the Home & Giving Fair in Melbourne on the weekend and talking with many wholesalers, not once did someone say they do not supply newsagents, not once did someone criticise our channel. Indeed, man suppliers talked about enjoying dealing with newsagents because of the healthier traffic we have compared to many gift shops.

The reception this year for newsagents is the best I have ever experienced in many years coming to these fairs.

Category: Gifts · newsagency of the future

• 1 Fiona Hulme // Aug 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Hi Mark, come and see some contemporary greeting cards with a great sell through! Stand I 35 home and giving. Fiona candlebark

• 2 Fiona Hulme // Aug 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM

• 3 Fiona Hulme // Aug 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM

• 4 Fiona Hulme // Aug 5, 2014 at 9:58 PM

• 5 Mark Fletcher // Aug 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Fiona I am happy with my card sakes – up 13% YOY last quarter.

• 6 Fiona Hulme // Aug 6, 2014 at 7:17 AM

That’s great to hear!

• 7 Carol // Aug 6, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Just got home from a whirlwind of a trip. I bought some great stuff and everyone was happy to serve and even offer free freight for orders made at the fair to our rather remote area. Often freight prohibits me from buying smaller orders. I leant one thing that virtually no one knows what exists north of Cairns.

• 8 shauns // Aug 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I know exactly what exist north of cairns only drama is I need 2 weeks away from this place to do the trip .Fishing ,crabbing drinking and fishing camping ,we should to a business swap

• 9 Shayne // Aug 6, 2014 at 12:35 PM

We’ll swap with you Carol. You can come to the Snowy Mntns (minus 9 when I got to work yesterday) and go skiing and we’ll come up north and find out what a beach looks like.

• 10 Carol // Aug 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I am more than happy to sell a newsagency to any of you so you can live in our agreeable climate.

• 11 Mark Fletcher // Aug 6, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Shayne & carol – newsagency swap. I like the idea.

• 12 James // Aug 6, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Sadly Mark I think it would have the same results as that TV show “Wife Swap”. Not that I watched a lot of it, but what I saw wasn’t pretty.

• 13 Carol // Aug 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM

James it probably could work but I just want to retire and not to the deep south. I got back from freezing Melbourne to rain and miserable weather so its not all roses in the tropics.

• 14 June // Aug 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM

James you might have “misinterpreted???”
    what wife swap meant – hope you weren’t too disappointed.

• 15 Brendan // Aug 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I have pondered swapping for a week with another nearby newsagency just to learn other operating methods, would be interesting and maybe helpful.

• 16 Deepti // Sep 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Hi! Mark
    Which is a better platform to showcase Reed or Home & Giving for new importers and wholesalers.

• 17 Mark Fletcher // Sep 10, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Deepti there are changes occurring with the fairs and it is hard to say. Through my gift and newsagency software business I’ve been at both and each has benefits. I’m yet to decide re 2015.