Tatts changes fit-out requirements

January 24th, 2014 · 15 Comments

Tatts has changed its fit-out requirements to help make meeting corporate image requirements for commercially viable.

I wonder how the newsagents who have paid for the more expensive fit-outs will feel about the change.

Category: Lotteries

• 1 Allan wickham // Jan 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Just heard about this today too Mark. Extremely disappointed in Tatts. My shop fitter had to be accredited and had to work to very strict guidelines. We had to fit the cost into an overall shop fit budget. To find out now that we could of saved money or chose to have a few extra things done in the shop fit is very very frustrating. My shop fitter did an amazing job within my budget but we did have to compromise a few other areas just to fit in the cost of the Tatts image. Wonder if we could build a data base of shops that have already spent the money and take to Tatts for their consideration? Have got a feeling that they won’t care much anyway. I did mine earlier than was required but what about those stores that had to “meet the deadline”?

• 2 Brett // Jan 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Is the fit out requirement the same now as the Coles Service Stations?

• 3 chandra // Jan 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Hi Mark,

I am about to do a shop fit in couple of months, would like to know what are the changes to the fit out requirements. Also if the design has been approved before, can it it changed now

• 4 Amanda // Jan 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Very sceptical of this decision. The only conclusion I can come to is that they will be rolling out into more outlets which will not meet current criteria, and which refuse to meet current criteria.

Is there any transparency regarding the commission received by new retail outlets selling Tatts products? That is, what commissions are Coles Express and 7eleven stores receiving? This is something that should be public knowledge. A fair outcome would be that those outlets whom have a fit out receive a greater commission above the rest of the pack.

• 5 Mark Fletcher // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:14 PM

I don’t have any details on the changes other than what a Tatts rep has said – that the requirements have been refined to offer a more cost-effective re-fit option.

With many Tatts outlets facing imminent re-fit costs Tatts needs to offer clarity quickly.

A frustration for newsagents over the last few years is the almost no re-fit cost for 7-Eleven and, recently, Coles Express stores – giving them a significant capital advantage over newsagents.

• 6 Allan Wickham // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:16 PM

What about those that have already done the fit out Mark?

• 7 Mark Fletcher // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Al if they have been done in the last year I’d be approaching Tatts for compensation and when that is rejected I’d take it to QCAT, VCAT, the CTTT or similar. The question is: will affected newsagents have the balls?

• 8 Allan Wickham // Jan 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I reckon some of us will have a “big set”

• 9 Mark Fletcher // Jan 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I’ve raised the question on LinkedIn and Twitter.

• 10 Carol // Jan 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Lets hope they do the same in Queensland?

• 11 Rod // Jan 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Good morning Mark , There is a very interesting story in the Sydney Morning Hearald from the Tatts CEO Robbie Cooke He talks about image change and scratch tickets going into supermarkets for later this year. This is on page 25 of BusinessDay

• 12 Amanda // Jan 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Just read the article Rod posted about. This will have massive implications for Shopping Centre based Newsagents.

Chiang Lim from NANA, what is being done??

• 13 jenny // Jan 28, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Also today found out Fairfax not doing newspapers in schools anymore (except digital).
    Great, there’s another chunk of profit gone forever.

• 14 jenny // Jan 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Is it wrong to jump the counter and punch out the next customer who tells me that you can’t buy a grid book in the supermarkets or Big W?

Just a thought that keeps popping into my head. :)

• 15 Brett // Jan 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Jenny,

Conversely imagine the joy of getting calls from INSIDE officeworks where they find out that not only do we have their stock but we are much cheaper! Then having them in store minutes later buying up big. That was pretty much my whole last week.