No Take 5 due to insufficient stock

February 13th, 2014 · 17 Comments

Our supply of Take 5 was cut by Bauer from 30 to 0 due to insufficient stock. The Network Services website advised no stock available for us to order. Thankfully, a nearby supermarket had plenty.

Category: magazines

• 1 Brendan // Feb 13, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Ours went up 6%. Are they picking on you???

• 2 David @ Angle Vale Newsagency // Feb 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I received my usual 15, generally sell 12-13.

Maybe Brendan’s right. Or maybe just for Vic agents.

• 3 Shaun's // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Up 10% here and welcome it

• 4 Mark Fletcher // Feb 13, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Don’t know why. It’s dumb. But it’s dumber that they have no spare stock. Stupid.

• 5 Jenny // Feb 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I would be so cross if my shop missed out on stock but the supermarket still got theirs.
    Really are at the bottom of the ladder aren’t we?

• 6 Chris // Feb 14, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Luckily all my local supermarkets are a subagent to me for magazines so if I am short so is the whole town! But this rarely happens.
    Its sounds to me like there may be a motive behind this cut.

• 7 Mark Fletcher // Feb 14, 2014 at 7:21 AM

I don’t think it was a malicious act by Bauer. No, it think it’s more an example of poor systems with insufficient people managing them.

• 8 Chris // Feb 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM

We have been told before that they use complex algorithms which we would not understand. And these calculate our supplies and we were told they know our sales better than we do!

• 9 Mark Fletcher // Feb 14, 2014 at 10:10 AM

They used to have a sizeable team of allocations experts. Now, under Bauer, they have fewer I am told.

• 10 Amanda // Feb 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Spot on Jenny.

We are in a centre with Woolworths, Coles and BigW plus a Woolworths Petrol station in the carpark.

Atleast once a month we are missing a bulk. I asked the delivery driver who he delivers to first. He said he is instructed to deliver to all the majors first, we are last on his list even thought we get the most stock. So if there is not enough bundles on his truck (or he has made a mistake in delivering) we miss out.

• 11 michelle // Feb 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Our allocation was down by only 4 but we have a slightly different cover… none of ours has the giveaway!?!?

• 12 June // Feb 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Amanda, we are near a Coles outlet and our stock is delivered on the same truck.
    Week after week after week we are missing bundles and when I enquired as to whether or not it might be going to Coles I was told “they have to check all their bundles so they haven’t got it” – hellooooo! ALL COLES STAFF ARE PERFECT.????
    The launch of YOURS magazine last Thursday is another topic.
    I got 10 copies and sold out in 36 hours.
    The rep called in to do some merchandising for it
    and I told her that I got 3 Woman’s Day on a Thursday as SBR and 2 Top Gear SBR so why not Yours. Got another 7 copies yesterday morning.
    Went to Coles last night and they have the largest outpost ever for it and at least 60 copies on the outpost.
    We are not being treated as the core supplier of this product any more – the supermarkets have taken any volume we ever had.
    As soon as they realize that we specialize in niche product (1s and 2s) they will start to initiate getting that too.
    Mags are not our future, unfortunately.
    The problem for the publishers (especially niche publishers) is that once the duopoly starts to receive their product they will do to the publishers what they did to the farmers and we will see lots of niche publishers fade away.
    Anyway, I have put Yours down the bottom of the racks because I don’t like being treated like a second tier operator so that particular publication will not be given the usual “top” position of a new magazine.

• 13 Mark Fletcher // Feb 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM

June I suspect you will find that Coles is being paid to have this extra large stand out.

• 14 Carol // Feb 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

The under supply might be explained by some newsagents receiving more than double what they should have been supplied …..

• 15 MAX // Jun 12, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Anyone else having trouble with Take 5 allocations ?
    I asked for an increase, it was approved. It lasted 2 issues then they cut me back by a third.
    I hop online to order extra stock.
    No stock available .
    I have sold out on day 1.

• 16 Gary // Jun 12, 2014 at 1:20 PM

more evidence of broken allocations.

normal struggle to get 160 as I constantly have to bump up my supply. SBR usually too late by Monday.

so how many arrives today? 240.

• 17 MAX // Jun 12, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Gary,
    I could have sold at least 30 of your extra supply.
    Allocation system is definitely broken.