How violent can Halloween products be before they offend?

September 27th, 2014 · 6 Comments

stabbingmanThe name of the product screams: STABBING MAN WITH BLOOD CLOTH. A few weeks ago I thought this was pretty cool. Today, with the higher terror alert and the recent tragedy in Endeavour Hills I wonder about the name of the product and whether it has a meaning that does not work today as it might have a few weeks ago.

No offence is meant by the product name but the news of the day could impact that and invite offence and this concerns me.

I’m not taking it off the shelves or hiding it from display. In fact, right now it is a feature in the Halloween display. I guess I am raising it here to see what others think about the product name. Personally, I have no issue whatsoever but I would not want to unreasonably offend someone touched by recent events.

Category: Ethics

• 1 Adrian // Sep 27, 2014 at 6:52 AM

I would be hesitant to take the risk of having the product out at the moment . Bad publicity spreads 100 times faster than good publicity and that can hurt sales big time

• 2 Megan // Sep 27, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I agree with Adrian – seems in poor taste right now.

• 3 Lance // Sep 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

You’re not all that far from Endeavour Hills Mark, some locals probably shop in your Centre.
    Give it the flick and give the shop a does of pride and show you have empathy for those affected.
    You do it in many other ways.

• 4 Angelo // Sep 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Well I think that if it’s not the most inappropriate product given the current climate then you can sure see from there.

I don’t think I would want my young children to play with this sort of product and would rather they chose another product.

• 5 Mark Fletcher // Sep 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Thanks for the comments. We have taken it down. I was keen to see what others wold do.

• 6 h // Sep 29, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Staff members young son (10) was distressed at an older boy (14) threatening him over a bicycle dispute in the park on the weekend – I’ll chop your head off was the taunt. We discussed children watching/not watching the news in the store this morning and most parents agreed they are not allowing their children to watch the evening news programs at the moment. There’s scary stuff, and there’s real life scary stuff, kids get confused with the difference.