I love the pitch of this independent book shop in New York

October 18th, 2020 · 6 Comments

Category: Book retailing

• 1 Steve // Oct 18, 2020 at 8:22 AM

Looks great and very adaptable to many newsagencies around the country who want to enter this product range.

We are now receiving minimum 47 per cent margin SOR from each of the major publishers. Higher for larger stock outlays. Publisher reps visiting our store are amazed with our product range and presentation. This category fits very well with our traditional newsagency lines.

• 2 Peter // Oct 18, 2020 at 8:56 AM

Nup… Either find a way to be better or sought after, or fade away. Blocked out windows and using the word creepy on the front of your shop is well……. creepy!

What about a French patisserie look, serving good coffee with outdoor tables. Inviting and confident, not bitter and creepy.

• 3 Peter // Oct 18, 2020 at 9:00 AM

Ignore the other Peter. He’s wrong. The algorithm is creepy. I love what this bookshop is doing. If I owned a bookshop, I’d try similar.

• 4 Peter // Oct 18, 2020 at 9:25 AM

If you’re not offering an experience then you are doomed to compete on price and convenience. Amazon are the kings on price and ease of online experience. Whinging to the public won’t change this, you’re just reinforcing your inferiority.

• 5 Peter // Oct 18, 2020 at 9:29 AM

Peter peter peter, you see whinging, I see education, engagement and opportunity. Go support Amazon somewhere else. Seriously!

• 6 Mark Fletcher // Oct 18, 2020 at 9:30 AM

Okay, this thread is getting silly and personal.

As I have noted, I like what this shop has done. It is smart, engaging and optimising in my view. Good on them.

By the way, I don’t see whinging.