Tatts Coles Express trial to move beyond trial

October 31st, 2013 · 16 Comments

I’ve been told that the trial of Tatts product sales in some Coles Express outlets has been so successful that Coles and Tatts are planning on rolling out across the Coles Express network in Victoria. What happens beyond Victoria will depend on state based legislation – certainly in NSW and QLD.

I’m also told that Tatts / Coles wanted to achieve $10,500 in sales in each trial site and that this is being achieved.

The other information just shared is that Coles outlets are required only to provide space for two A1 posters as corporate image support for Tatts.

Category: Lotteries

• 1 BrettS // Oct 31, 2013 at 6:06 PM

What a kick in the guts for Agents and the breaking of there own rules to accommodate coles.
    No need to attend our compulsory training.
    No need to shop fit to our specifications.
    Hell no need to do anything.
    That must be a monthly target surely?

• 2 shauns // Oct 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I am glad i have a few years yet before doing a refit because i can see the standard will be changing ,they have to . Why should we have to spend 30 odd grand for a counter when they only need space for 2 posters .

• 3 shauns // Oct 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I cannot believe the Anti gambling mob are not all over this .

• 4 Paul // Oct 31, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Yep, I agree Shauns. I don’t have to refit until 2016 and there’s no way in hell I’ll be paying 30K for a refit when the Coles over the road has to only put up $100 worth of posters.

• 5 Amanda // Oct 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I find it absurd the ANF and NANA are wasting time pushing HUBBED when real issues like this should be tackled immediately.

Alf from ANF, what are you doing?

• 6 Amanda // Oct 31, 2013 at 7:58 PM

What should the ANF, NANA be doing for Newsagents?
    * address concerns over Lotteries products in Coles Express.
    * challenge Fairfax Media contracts in a court of law.
    * challenge oversupply of magazines within the industry
    * tell publishers how things are going to be done
    * organise strategic boycotts to establish a greater power and force negotiation.
    * grow some BALLS!

• 7 Ross // Oct 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I couldn’t agree more Amanda

• 8 Jonathan Wilson // Oct 31, 2013 at 8:18 PM

From the point-of-view of anti-gambling groups, firstly, lotto and scratchies isn’t their main target, its pokies that they are targeting (because its much easier to get suckered into loosing the big $ on pokies than it is on lotto or scratchies)

Also, even if the groups were interested in targeting lotto/scratches, they would be targeting newsagents just as much as Coles Express (since both are just as guilty when it comes to making gambling accessible)

• 9 James // Oct 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM

All this tells me and all the other agents is that Tatts do not appreciate the value of their most valuable asset – their brand. For years they have policed and advocated the importance of compliance with their full suite of franchise branding – because…..you know… the brand, the brand. Clearly this was complete crap. The take out for me is that the brand is in fact irrelevant and this must always have been so. In the same way that Newspaper Mastheads can now be purchased between the pet food and toilet rolls at any retail premises anywhere with no external branding or signage, so too you can now purchase Tattersalls product.

At a time when global brands (Apple, Nike, Rodd and Gunn, Kikki K) are taking their product out of general retailers into dedicated branded specialist retailers, Newspapers and Tattersalls are going in the other direction. Again confirmation that the brand is, and always has been of no value. Go Figure.

• 10 ricky // Nov 1, 2013 at 3:18 AM

So, what is this to do with NA NA and ANF? Tattersalls agents have their own representative association. LAAV. Better to ask what they are doing to disrupt this travesty.

• 11 Baz // Nov 1, 2013 at 5:10 AM

I reckon they will achieve the same results as Daryl Lee. Prostitution will probably end in arrest of product…They will have to book bigger venues for their training sessions….perhaps a stadium ? In Mark’s own words…Ugh

• 12 rick // Nov 1, 2013 at 5:56 AM

can’t see woollies missing out either

• 13 Angelo // Nov 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but with respect to NSW wasn’t there to be a moratorium of around 5 years for NSW Lotteries to be primarily available only in Newsagents?

I can’t remember how long ago it was but I would presume that we are getting close to the end of that 5 year period. With that in mind I would think that it is timely for Tatts to be doing this exercise in readiness for a push into the major supermarkets. This is a gross mistake as I think the chase for the incremental sales at the cost of dedicated attention and service knowledgeable Newsagents provide is wrong.
    The fit out issue in my view is reprehensible.

• 14 ricky // Nov 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Baz
    The new Darrell Lea ownership has been better for us. Since we have been able to choose our supplier we have experienced a marked improvement in range, assortment, price points, margins and merchandising materials. We have certainly benefited from the change. So there.

• 15 Jarryd Moore // Nov 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Can’t say we’re unhappy with Darrell Lea either Ricky. Given, we didn’t have them before they changed, but sales are reasonably good and I assume they company is now profitable. It’s better that we be in this situation than be left without any supplier at all.

• 16 rick // Nov 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Tatts in qld have denied they are moving beyond the trail in a letter to the QNF, trail is ongoing at this stage