Hey News Corp. this is not news, this is not journalism, no, this is political interference

May 21st, 2019 · 10 Comments

I would not have put this newspaper out for sale. A politician with their face in what could be the crosshairs of a gun? In Australia?

Category: Ethics

• 1 Peter // May 21, 2019 at 9:25 PM

I hear an apology will be printed, though I will believe when I see it.

• 2 Jim // May 21, 2019 at 9:37 PM

Im guessing the same people who are upset by this were upset at the election result. All a bit precious if you ask me.

• 3 Mark Fletcher // May 22, 2019 at 2:55 AM

Jim nothing to do with the election result. Newspapers have a responsibility to report news and to do this within a framework of ethics. News Corp. papers often leap beyond this by running agendas and printing stories that are not based on news or professional news gathering.

This Sunshine Coast Daily front page is disgusting.

• 4 Peter // May 22, 2019 at 9:43 AM

This picture is defining the right to free speech as the right to be a rude ignorant pig.

• 5 Jonathan Wilson // May 22, 2019 at 12:22 PM

Its high time we had both truth-in-advertising laws for political advertising AND stronger laws for truth in the media (i.e. easier enforcement and stronger penalties for media outlets who run things knowing those things are untrue)

Bring down the power of the Murdoch empire to influence and control politics in this country.

• 6 Graeme Day // May 22, 2019 at 12:45 PM

it’s bad taste for some- it is for me – the answer is don’t buy the paper. Sales fall- it will close.
    Same as any other product.

• 7 Mark Fletcher // May 22, 2019 at 2:16 PM

I’d like to think that if I saw this in my shop inn the morning, I’d return every single copy. Time to take a stand I think.

• 8 Murray // May 23, 2019 at 5:49 AM

this is whats wrong with Australia now, everyone finds a reason to get offended. Its water off a ducks back. Nothing wrong with a little humor. Stop being a snowflake and start having a laugh again.

• 9 Jason // May 24, 2019 at 1:19 PM

You’re going to start censoring the news, Mark?

• 10 Graeme Day // May 24, 2019 at 10:03 PM

Jason, I agree, although it may be in bad taste and that is individual taste, the answer is if the majority feel that way and don’t buy the paper it will die.
    I spent some time before a Parliamentary hearing re censorship and the Newsagents role in selling magazines of risque taste, and my answer was and still is, You the Govt decide censorship, to some degree, the other degree is decided by the consumer.
    If it doesn’t sell then the peddler of rubbish is judged.
    No better criteria is available. One persons choice is another’s distaste.