Is SBR broken at Bauer?

December 12th, 2013 · 10 Comments

We received 13 copies of Top Gear ten days ago, we have 5 copies left and have just been advised by Bauer they will send us 12 more copies on Monday. This extra 12 copies is five or six copies too many based on the sales history Bauer has for the title for this store.

Category: magazines

• 1 Brett // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Me too!

Top Gear SBR today was for twice my normal allocation even though product is still on the shelf.

• 2 shauns // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

XMAS party coming up , Xmas bonus time , there are a number of reasons why this could happen .

• 3 allan wickham // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Was it ever working…..?

• 4 shauns // Dec 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Sort of works I sold my last cosmopolitan on the 5th and they are just doing an SBR today on the 12th so a week with lost sales buy the time they turn up it will be the 16th so Almost 2 weeks lost sales . I suppose I should have been on the ball and ordered extra stock but way to busy this time of year to be walking around looking at every magazine and 9/10 times you ring up they have no stock anyway

• 5 h // Dec 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

With Tower I find it quick and easy to scan sales for the past 24 hrs from the office computer once a day. When I see good sales of something I can quickly Alt T and check on remaining stock, then I jump online and order more. Case in point recently is the new Inspirations mag, got 12, sold 6 in the first 48 hrs, clearly I will not have enough on hand for the full sale period of ? 5 months or so ! Had to chase publisher for copies, BUT, I will have stock. I often pre-empt SBR. Yes it is a pain when there are no extras available.
    But I can’t sell something I don’t have, and I HATE telling a customer that I’m temporarily out of stock.

• 6 Wally // Dec 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I get SBR after selling 1 magazine out of 3 and unlikely to sell more but they send me another anyway. I then rip off the top and early return as I know I will probabaly still have the other 2 at end of month. What a waste of everyones money. This is where SBR short be used. Send it out if it is to be there for 2months check the sales after 3 weeks and replace where necessary. I would never order something that will sit on my shelf for 2 months. if it hasnt gone in a month I dont want it and I want the credit. probably the one of the reasons my sales are going down. but at the margin I dont want to be sitting on it. Id rather have another product that pays for the space. So they either delay the charge or SBR it. Delay billing should not entitle a title !! to sit on the shelf either. I dont have the space. They have the data please use it CORRECTLY

• 7 Mark Fletcher // Dec 13, 2013 at 4:55 AM

h, what you do is best practice and good for the future of magazine sales. What Bauer / Network is doing with SBR too often is worst practice and supplying stock we don’t need.

• 8 Jim // Dec 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I think SBR works quite well as far as Bauer are concerned. Most of us think it stands for Sales Based Replenishment.
    I have it on good advice that Bauer think it stands for Stuff the Bastards Right up!

• 9 rick // Dec 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

beats me why everyone goes off at the distributors for oversupply of mags, they actually get paid to oversupply, thats the business model that they work by. if i was in their shoes would be doing the same thing. i dont have time/resources to mount a case against them with the ACCC so like everyone else i live with it. luckily i am tops only returns so i really do get into early returns in a big way, even more so if im in a crappy mood and feel like taking it out on someone. so who suffers most from over supply, us and the publishers and possibly customers, who has the most to gain, yep gotch and network. how to we change the system, i suspect we cant and it will continue until mags only exist in the digital world and we run gift/lotto/convenience stores instead of newsagencies.

• 10 jenny // Feb 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Why oh why did I get sent extra copies One Handed Cook issue 1 (which I still have lots of copies sitting on my shelf) on Monday when issue 2 is out tomorrow?

Bauer what the hell are you doing?