Have fun, promote your business and encourage engagement with a product or group of products in your newsagency with a dress-up promotion. Nothing too crazy because you want as many people engaged as possible. Here are some ideas I think could work in a any newsagency business – high street, rural and shopping mall:
- Wear your knitting. Wear a hand-knitted article of clothing and get 10% of any knitting magazine. Create a display featuring these and place with it gifts and other products that will appeal to this shopper.
- Retro day. Wear anything retro and get 10% off anything in-store. Be sure to have an excellent range of retro products on display.
- Be a character. Dress as a character featured on a kids magazine and get 10% off any magazine. feature displays of character-driven product. For example, feature Peppa Pig products from several suppliers to show off the character focus of your business.
- Easter bonnet Wear an easter Bonnet you’ve made and get 25% off Easter cards.
- Uncovered tatts. Dress showing off your tattoos and get 10% of tattoo magazines.
- Show your models. Bring in a model you have made and get 10% off any model making magazine.
- Smuggle your budgies. Wear speedos and get 10% off anything in-store.
- Wear the local high school colours. 5% of all purchases by people wearing the local high school uniform or school colours will be donated to the school.
- Wear something promoting a local community group. The group with the most support gets a $100 cash prize.
- Wear something from or related to your wedding day. Wear an article of clothing either from your wedding or related to your wedding and get a discount of 25% off wedding, engagement or anniversary cards.
- Boardies sale. Wear board shorts for a 10% discount off anything especially surfing, skating and water sports magazines.
- Tradies sale. Everyone dressed as a tradie gets a discount of 10% off anything in-store.
- Cat day! Wear anything cat related and get a discount. Meow for a bonus discount!
- Handwriting day. Bring in a letter you have written and get a 25% discount of any pens you purchase.
- Paper plane discount day. Bring in a hand-made paper plane and throw it down our discount aisle and get the discount off your purchases that matches the distance the plane flies.
These and other ideas you come up with from reading this list should be single day promotions. In addition to any purchaser discount, offer a prize of the best – this can drive better engagement. The promotions with a local community connection offer you bonus kudos as a local business.
A side bonus of these ideas is that they can drive interaction with shoppers – another point of difference for small business newsagents.