Appalling customer service from Nine Media’s Fairfax business when I try and cancel by subscription to The Age

December 3rd, 2020 · 8 Comments

I decided to cancel my subscription to The Age a three days ago. I figured it would be easy – log into their website, select my account and click cancel from the next billing cycle.

I figured, 1, 2, 3 and I’d be done. I figured that because that’s how online works. It’s easy, self-serve, fast.

But, not at Fairfax Media. Their approach is broken, cumbersome and laden with barriers.

I logged in. Then, I had to log in again when I selected my account. There was no explanation as to why I had to log in twice. I guess it as because they are two different tech systems.

Anyone, I got in. But once in, there was no button I could click to self manage the account.

I had to call or email the. So, I selected email, thinking I could write an email. But, no, that would be too simple for Fairfax Media to implement.

On selecting email, it took me to another page that I had to complete. They asked for my subscriber number. I went back to my account page, there is no subscriber number. I checked and checked and could not find it. So, back to the web form, I completed the details including having to tell them why I wanted to cancel.

But that was not enough. They will consider my request. They emailed suggesting I call them if it is a time sensitive request. It’s not, so I’ll let it play out. Gees, I hope they don’t call. I don’t want to speak with anyone. But … here we are 3 days later and I’ve heard nothing.

As I said, appalling customer service from Nine Media’s Fairfax.

If I was a Fairfax shareholder I’d be thinking about the manpower cost of such a broken subscription management system. Talk about broken, old-school, out of date. It’s a joke. My own small business subscription related consumer websites offer far better customer self-service experiences.

It’s simple really, Fairfax Media. I want to cancel my subscription. These hoops and barriers feel like it is a business strategy to keep customers, by making it too hard to quit.

The experience turns me off. It makes me want to tell others how bad dealing with them is.

The approach by Fairfax Media to managing online subscriptions is what I’d expect from a dinosaur business, a business out of touch with online. Oh, wait…

Category: Customer Service · Newspapers · Ugh!

• 1 Michael // Dec 4, 2020 at 6:48 AM

I am curious Mark, why subscribe and why now cancel?

• 2 Mark Fletcher // Dec 4, 2020 at 6:51 AM

Michael, I subscribed in 2017 as part of a series of subscriptions supporting journalism. I decided to cancel after the poor coverage by The Age of matters related to the Liberal party. In my view, the Costello chairmanship is having a consequence on editorial, whether deliberate or not.

I am all for reading and considering diverse views. The Age and Nine Media generally is not fair and balanced in its reporting any more.

• 3 Bruce Holliday // Dec 4, 2020 at 2:52 PM

Ironic isn’t it! Simpler to just buy the old fashioned paper or not buy the paper! I agree it should be easier to unsubscribe.

• 4 Shayne // Dec 4, 2020 at 4:35 PM

The Herald Sun is exactly the same. You can’t manage your acct on line. The only way to cancel a subscription is to phone. 3 times I have tried only to hang up after waiting for 15 minutes each time. So I am forced to continue to pay for a subscription I don’t want

• 5 Peter // Dec 4, 2020 at 5:22 PM

Still the go to source of accurate and trustworthy news for me. A great stable of journalists with Waleed Aly, Ross Gittens, Stephen Bartholameusz and Adele Ferguson to name just a few. The Age has always lent to the left of the political spectrum, but in a more balanced fashion, without the shrill call to identity politics favoured by other left wing media. As for their subscription platform, unfortunately this has more to do with dwindling resources in a sadly failing business model. Australia will be poorer with its inevitable demise.

• 6 Graeme Day // Dec 4, 2020 at 7:28 PM

Peter, I agree with the failing busines model, this is everywhere.
    Media as in print is a mixture of earings income between Cover price and advertising 25% (used to be now 12.5% for retail only) The failure is electronic media where I havea coice and find it irritating to accept advertisement whils reading and to cap it off a follow through on every and each othe article I look at on line with an ad dupilcating an enquiry I’ve made that has nothing to do with the aricle I am reading.
    This does not happen with print media.
    The area that I live in is on notice that the distribution by agents is about to be discontinued within 12 months.
    i subscribe to newspapers and have the home delivered as my local newsagent has a (at the moment profitable distribution system) service to do so and I enjoy the”paper” to read and also as I am often out of office for days visiting Country newsagents I have the benefit of electronic engagement with my ipad, computers Apple as well as Windows and i phone . The best of both Worlds.
    Really not sure of what I will do when print is stopped, probably at a reasonable guess cancel the subscription altogether.
    Thus the enevitable demise as you put it for print at least in affordable volume , is such.

• 7 Mark Fletcher // Dec 7, 2020 at 3:30 PM

Finally, today, resolved.

• 8 Graeme Day // Dec 7, 2020 at 8:21 PM

Great news. at last he says -frustration extreme- unfortunately just part of today’s business and general attitude.
    So much of the I.T and genreal attitude of do it yourself with no personal service.
    if one does manage to put both service and product together they will brain it.