Worst newsagency supplier of 2018: Gordon and Gotch

December 31st, 2018 · 15 Comments

I nominate magazine distributor Gordon and Gotch as the worst newsagent supplier of 2018. I do this on the basis of:

1. A broken magazine supply model that results in failure every month with between 30% and 50% of what is sent as not selling. This wastes newsagent capital, time and space. Gotch people will say this is the fault of the publishers who control print runs. I don’t care. Gotch is the supplier to newsagents.
  2. Poor communication.
  3. Poor customer service. Often non existent. Newsagents have to spend too much time using inefficient systems at Gotch – phone and email – to get simple queries answered.
  4. Poor tech infrastructure that makes it hard for newsagents to proactively trade on new titles. I am tired of excuses by Gotch representatives on this.
  5. Disinterest. The impression newsagents tell me have is that when it comes to Gotch, newsagents feel they don’t care.
  6. Poor commercial value to a newsagency business. The poor margin, couples with a broken supply model and a high labour cost for newsagents on dealing with queries drives this poor value.

Feel free to nominate any other company or agree or disagree with my post.

FOOTNOTE: A Jan 1, 2019 reflection: Why am I so hard on Gotch? Because they have had decades to get this right. They are a cornerstone supplier in a cornerstone category. Newsagents used to be their exclusive customers for print media products. Now, ur channel is one of several. While we have more competition, Gotch has less, and we are the worst off for it.

The position of Gotch in the channel, their size, their market dominance mean we ought expect more from them. In 2018, we got less. This is leading newsagents to exit magazines.

Category: magazine distribution · Newsagent suppliers

• 1 Steve Bloom // Dec 31, 2018 at 8:10 AM

Tower Business Systems.

Leadership are so cowardly.

• 2 Peter // Dec 31, 2018 at 8:11 AM

Mark re GG you are spot on. However another supplier the one owned by Newsagents should be up their in equal first place.

• 3 Colin // Dec 31, 2018 at 8:17 AM

IPS scores as badly as GG on all categories plus has a dishonest returns system. I spend each month working around IPS to keep a few titles that customers expect at same time managing my stress levels.

I would also nominate a certain courier business but am unable to name it.

Difficult competition when IPS sets the bar so low.

• 4 KINJAL // Dec 31, 2018 at 8:34 AM

TOLL DELIVERY PARCEL ALSO MAKES THE LIST.

• 5 Shayne // Dec 31, 2018 at 8:43 AM

What irks me the most is when shortages are reported (ie, every Monday and Thursday) their automatic response is to call you a liar and refuse credits unless you confirm for a second time that the titles were in fact missing.

• 6 Glenn // Dec 31, 2018 at 3:17 PM

There is, sadly, quite some jostling for the bottom position in terms of the suppliers value to newsagents. However I think it is fair to acknowledge the effort put in by G&G to maintain their status as the worst supplier our industry has, and the lengths they have gone to to hold this crown for many years, despite the efforts of the likes of IPS.

For the first time in 20 years I am seriously considering removing magazines entirely because of these inefficiencies and that we make not 1 cent on our efforts to manage the category.

• 7 Michael // Dec 31, 2018 at 5:27 PM

I see Gotch, I see IPS, I even see couriers mentioned but not one mention of Tatts ?

Happy new years btw everyone!

• 8 John // Jan 2, 2019 at 2:02 AM

Recently a Nursing Home called and asked me to supply 90 Puzzle Books (5 titles) as Christmas presents to residents.

Called G&G Call Centre, submitted an order, staff were very helpful, received every item I requested.

Congratulations to G&G who enabled me to make a $550 sale easy sale, with maybe 10 minutes work at our end.

Do we receive more Mags than needed? Yes, then XIT immediate return, then Surplus Mags in Bin.

• 9 Mark Fletcher // Jan 2, 2019 at 6:48 AM

John, while your story is good, it is rare in my experience. Gotch can do better, by delivering on previous promises.

• 10 Henry Henderson // Jan 2, 2019 at 2:50 PM

John, nobody is complaining about GG’s acting in their own interest. In this case it’s good to see a Newsagent got something out of it as well.

What we are complaining about is that they oversupply in their own interest at newsagents’ expense (and the small publishers as well). Over supply is deliberate policy from which GG profit.

I often wonder what the public would think if it knew that nearly half of magazines sent to newsagents are dumped into the environment unread through a scheme whereby a company can profit through being deliberately inefficient.

• 11 Jason // Jan 2, 2019 at 8:50 PM

The public would probably first think that’s a terrible waste and you need to choose a better supplier. Then they’d probably think there must be something in it for the newsagents if they didn’t make the change. Why would anyone stay with a supplier they say is broken, inefficient, costs a fortune to support and ignores everything you ask them for….

They’d most likely realise the price is the same for a direct subscription. If it’s not, the campaign in response to the dumped magazines story will be “Same price as the newsagents and half the wastage. Subscribe now!”
    Anyone who actually cares about the environment will subscribe online or loan FREE new issues of magazines for free from their local library.

• 12 Peter // Jan 2, 2019 at 8:56 PM

By God Sir John, the 02 01 2019 and already you are claiming troll of the year. How can I back you rise to the everlasting Glory.

• 13 Alan // Jan 4, 2019 at 7:54 AM

All sad comments … are there any suppliers who may get the thumbs up (in the right way)?

• 14 Colin // Jan 4, 2019 at 9:06 AM

Alan,

I could name dozens who get the thumbs up but many I prefer to keep to myself and not assist others in finding them. One I will mention is Independent Studios, been with many years, they get better and better.

• 15 Steve // Jan 4, 2019 at 12:58 PM

IS are great at design and packaging. Quality of product and competitive pricing not so much.